Skip to main content

What's in a name?

 

You maybe surprised to know that I have named my own self! Not because I didn’t like what my parents named me, but I accidentally uttered Vandita when the principal of the school where I was getting my admission done asked my name. Ever since I have known this, I used to wonder if my life would have been any different if I was rather called Nalini which was the name that was originally given to me by my parents. I have asked myself bizarre questions like, would I have had a different fate? Would I have bonded with different people? And so on and so forth. It was only with passing years that I realized that the only difference that it could have made in my life technically, would have been the position in which I appeared for my regular vivas during exams. My life in general would have been the same otherwise. It wasn’t until recently but, that I had to question the importance of a name in one’s life all over again after I starting calling my son by a not so unique or a rather common name.

I was questioned and am still questioned by most people of my and my husband’s family for naming him what I did. Everyone around wants a rather unique name, a name that either no one or only a rare few have heard of. Is there anything which I can label as unique and antique on this densely populated planet? Is what I thought of first. And, will calling my child by a rare name, make him different and exceptional from the existing lot around? Is what I thought next.


Your name indicates nothing about who you are, what you can be, or how you would become. But yes, it is the one word which you may end up hearing the most often in your lifespan, in which case, why can’t we have simpler names, which are easier to recall and have some sense of meaning attached to them.

The importance of names as titles of books, plays, or cinematic works are more, because the name there gives the audience a sneak peek about the work, they are about to indulge in. But there too the expectations and understanding from the audience can be so different that even Shakespeare ended up giving the title As you like it for one of his popular plays.

Of all the aspects that constitute the various layers of one’s personality, the name which is just a label attached to give us our initial identity remains the most superficial of them all. And as far as wanting to sound the most unique in this world with a population of more than seven billion people is considered, no matter how different you name your child, they would still call you Ma, mom, mommy, mamma, etc or dad, pa, papa, baba, etc. The options there are limited and common but the title is as unique and special as it can be for each parent. There is way more depth in our auras than we think, let us not cling on or confine our personalities to this most superficial layer that constitutes us, our name.

You can connect to me on

vanditasshelf@gmail.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annoyed by children on board? This read is for you

A recent Instagram post by a well-known celebrity writer read “They should give away free birth control pills on all airlines as a public service.” I juggled for a long time to understand what it meant, but couldn’t until I saw the only hashtag the writer had used as a caption beneath, #annoyingchildrenonboard. This post came after almost a week of relaxing and luxurious holiday that he had in Thailand. As most of the posts by this writer are relatable, at times funny and witty, it took me a while to comprehend what he had written. How could he post such a thing ? I thought, and scrolled through the comments section. In the comments I saw outpouring negativity for little children and their parents inside airplanes. “It’s so irritating!” one comment read, “I wanted to sleep peacefully on my three-hour flight, but the child behind just couldn’t shut up. Why do people produce when they can’t teach their children basic etiquette!!!” “So relatable,” read another, “an annoying baby was cryin

Can we expect Real Growth, from Intelligence that’s Artificial?

Technology has changed so much around us in the past few years, isn’t it? From getting miraculously connected to each other through phones, we have grown multifold since the time mobiles were first introduced. Internet, international connectivity, google search, and social media, we seem to have travelled ahead at the speed of light. While many of us were still adapting to all of this, a big word- artificial intelligence started circulating. Intelligence and artificial, look like two opposite words that have been joined together , is what came to my mind when I first heard about it. Before I could know, this technology, now popular as AI had already infiltrated many apps and websites. Someone asked me if I use ChatGPT, and I got partially shocked to discover what it was. In between all this lately, there was another popular news that mentioned how an MIT graduate had invented a device that could read your mind. He mentioned how it could google questions within your mind and order a p

The story of a “Happening” life!

In the middle of some conversation that I was having with one of my friends, she said “Why don’t you ask your husband to relocate to Delhi, your life will be much more happening there!” Is it?? I wondered! Fortunately I have stayed in many cities across the country and I have visited many countries outside India as well, so I have a decent level of understanding as to how different cultures are, and how things work in places other than my own hometown. Visiting any place for a week or two for tourism is one aspect of any city and working or studying there and following a daily routine there is another aspect of it. When do we call a city or our lives “happening”? As per the modern mans dictionary I suppose it’s when you slog like a donkey in your weekdays but your weekends are all about dance and booze! When you cook lunch and dinners on the weekdays at your own house, but your weekends are full of pizzas and other junk! Or maybe when weekdays are all about routine and boring work